Monday, July 29, 2019

Titleist AVX Balls Review: The Best Ball Some of You Will Ever Play

There's been a lot of buzz about the new Titleist AVX golf balls since their release, and I've been telling you about them since last summer when I first put them in play. 

 

And now that I've played them for awhile, I can also tell you there should be even more buzz.  These will be the best golf balls some of you have ever played. 

A quick general comparison between the AVX, Pro V1, and Pro V1x for different player types: the Pro V1X will launch highest, spin the most, and feel the firmest. The AVX will launch lowest, spin the least, and feel the softest.  The Pro V1 is sandwiched in between in terms of these characteristics. 

 
 

Here's where it gets interesting though.  I prefer the lower launching Pro V1 to the Pro V1x, and the AVX gave me more distance off the tee, with my long irons, and to my eye spun and stuck just as good as the Pro V1.  Of course I miss my share of targets, but on shots 50-75 yards in it was like throwing darts with the AVX. 

 

Extra distance is always bonus, but when you get almost a full club of extra distance on your long irons that's a sight to behold.  I'm not saying I won't play the Pro V1 again.  Sometimes we all play whatever balls we have laying around, and Pro V1 is a great ball.  But when AVX gives me the same short game performance and even better distance tee to green as the Pro V1, it's a no brainer. 

 
 

A friend of mine also tried the AVX one round we went out, and he normally plays the Pro V1x.  As expected he told me he didn't feel able to cut or fade the AVX like he does with the Pro V1x.  On the other hand he hit some monster bombs off the tee with the AVX that had significantly more roll out than the Pro V1x.  

If you're a big hitter playing the Pro V1x I'm pretty sure you'll stick with what you have.  But slower swingers will immediately notice more distance with the driver and mid/long irons. AVX won't give slower swingers the same stopping power as the Pro V1x on long irons, but it's not a night and day difference.  And there's plenty of spin to warrant the switch on short approaches inside 100 yards. 

 

The AVX golf balls are extremely impressive in distance and spin, and I'd be shocked to not see plenty of Pro V1 players making the switch after just playing them for a few holes. 

PROS: 
More distance with the long irons than the Pro V1 
More roll with the driver compared to the Pro V1x 
Spin with the short irons is comparable to the Pro V1x 

CONS: 
Low launch might not be the best for slow swing speeds 

 

As always, if you have any questions shoot me an email or direct message over on twitter or Instagram.

1 comment: