Monday, May 14, 2018

Cleveland CBX Wedges Review: Some of the Easiest to Hit Wedges You'll Ever Play

I've had the chance to play multiple rounds now with the new Cleveland CBX wedges, and can tell you confidently they're some of the easiest to hit wedges I've ever played. 

 

But don't think you're sacrificing versatility just because they're cavity backs.  These wedges are triple-threats from the fairway, rough, and sand, and should definitely be on your must try list of new gear for the year. 

Before I get into my review, a quick aside.  I know many of you wait on my reviews and we have plenty of chats in direct messages and emails in the meantime.  I share my impressions with you on twitter and Instagram frequently based on real course play.  And after I'm satisfied I've tested new equipment and gear enough, I post my reviews. 

Compared to other sites my reviews don't come a little after launch, and the reason is simple.  I'm not going base my reviews on a single session at the simulator and share numbers with you that in many cases won't do anything for you since our swings are all different.  I'm also not going to just go out to the course one time and put a few swings on them not knowing how they perform in different conditions and from different lies. 

There are too many recycled template reviews out there that honestly, are even more boring than uninformative.  I want you to always have the complete picture from multiple rounds, different courses, and various conditions.  And I'm always going to deliver that for you. 

 

Back to the CBX wedges now.  Three big points here: balance, sweet spot, and forgiveness.  As you know they're cavity back wedges, but looking down at address they look very similar to traditional tour style wedges like the RTX-3.  The weight that's saved and spread around the perimeter of the CBX is significant and yields real performance differences. 

 
 

You don't have to be anything close to a perfect ball striker to hit these on target and with controlled ball flight.  I'm not going to grab every wedge I own and have ever hit and do some monstrous comparison, but as I write this I believe the CBX are the easiest to hit wedges I've ever played. 

 

The sweet spot is also a big consideration here.  It's much closer to the center of the face where most of us make contact, and it's also a larger area.  Again contributing to hitting great shots on less than great swings, and bottom line - it makes the game more fun. 

 

Finally, you'll notice the soles are wider than the RTX-3 wedges.  That's going to help launch shots easier and make them almost impossible to chunk.  There's also enough heel and toe relief to make them pretty versatile for most shots you'll ever need to hit. 

CBX also have the same fantastic groove configuration technology as the RTX-3 wedges, giving them incredible bite and spin.  I've played the CBX in wet, soft conditions, and dry, firm conditions and they performed brilliantly on both surfaces. 

Quite simply, the Cleveland CBX wedges just make the game more fun because they make it easier to hit better shots.  I'm not saying you'll become an overnight maestro with these in your hands.  But your short game nightmares will definitely be fewer and farther between. 

 
 

PROS: 
Extremely easy to hit with a sweet-spot that seems enormous 
Wide soles are almost impossible to chunk 
Spin is comparable to the RTX-3 wedges 
As versatile a cavity-back wedge that you'll ever play

CONS: 
Not as much feedback as traditional wedges 
Might launch higher than desired for highly-skilled golfers 

 

As always, if you have any questions shoot me an email or direct message over on twitter or Instagram.

2 comments: