The idea for the Futura 5.5M began as a prototype when Justin Thomas came to the Putter Studio looking for a new option. Thomas wanted a smaller mallet that he could align easily, but one that also promoted the arced putting stroke he preferred. Cameron welded a flare neck to a Futura X5 Tour putter and sent him on his way. Thomas went on to win three events, reporting back that some of his buddies wanted a putter like his, and the wheels started turning from there.
FUTURA 5.5M DESIGN & TECHNOLOGYThe new Futura 5.5M extends the popular Futura line with a model designed for players seeking a smaller mallet with additional toe flow and forgiveness.
• The compact mallet is about 10-percent smaller than the similarly shaped Futura 7M, and designed for easy alignment with built-in toe flow.
• A shorter single bend shaft configuration results in additional toe hang, and promotes an arced path and flowing putting stroke.
• Multi-material technology featuring a wrap-around face-sole construction is milled from lightweight 6061 aircraft grade aluminum, and integrated with precision-milled 303 stainless steel to move weight back. This allows for a larger putter head with enhanced high-MOI performance (resistance to twisting during the stroke).
• Tour-proven heel-and-toe sole weighting technology increases stability and forgiveness.
• Mid-milled face with vibration dampening technology offers soft feel with 3.5 degrees of loft to deliver optimum roll characteristics.
Each new Futura putter features advanced stability weighting with removable, customizable stainless steel sole weights, stepless steel shafts and supple Black Matador Mid-size grips with red and gold accents developed to offer the comfort of a larger grip while maintaining responsiveness and feel.
Cameron gave the Futura line’s raw stainless steel surfaces a Silver Mist finish with a unique bead blast for a radiant, yet glare-resistant, appearance. All aluminum sole plates have been anodized in black. Additionally, the Tour-inspired cosmetics display the familiar three bright translucent red dots in the back cavity with engraved typography befitting this modern, high-performance line.
Futura 5.5M putters will be available August 25, 2017 in the United States and Canada, and September 22, 2017 worldwide at a retail price of $379. For more information on the new Futura 5.5M and entire Futura Putter Family check out ScottyCameron.com and @ScottyCameron on twitter and @scottycameron on Instagram.