Friday, February 17, 2017

2017 PGA Merchandise Show - Day 1 Recap (Part 5): Evnroll, Zero Friction, SuperStroke, Daphne's Headcovers, Winn Grips, 18 Birdies, and John Daly

We wrap up the Day 1 coverage with a look at Evnroll, Zero Friction, SuperStroke, Daphne's Headcovers, Winn Grips, 18 Birdies, and some John Daly. 

 

Looking ahead to Day 2, we'll have more apparel coverage, but the focus moves heavily on new equipment, and I'll bring you more than you'll know what to do with. 

It was almost time to call it a day, but not quite yet. 

Evnroll 
I'm never going to base my opinion on a putter after only a few minutes spent with it on artificial turf.  But I have to admit the Evnroll putters I hit felt fantastic, and produced some seriously pure rolls. 

The big story with these putters is they're supposed to roll the same distance "and" in the same direction no matter where you hit it on the face.  I tested this promise and sure enough, toe, center, and heel hits were practically identical.  I'd definitely be curious to see how this plays out on actual greens.  For now I'm cautiously impressed. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Zero Friction 
This was the first time I ever tried on a Zero Friction compression fit golf glove.  And I could definitely feel the "fit" compared to traditional leather gloves.  I wonder how durable they are compared to traditional gloves, but there's no denying the snug fit. 
 
 

SuperStroke 
SuperStroke has new S-Tech iron grips out this year.  These are the same grips Jordan Spieth uses.  By comparison, I'd say they feel like softer, and maybe even thinner Crossline sort of grips.  CounterCore putter grips are also new for 2017, and come with a weighting system that inserts into the butt of the club to change the feel and weight of the grip up to 50 grams.  These are no taper styles designed to promote even grip pressure. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Daphne's Headcovers 
One of my favorite Jack Nicklaus quotes is "golf is meant to be fun," and Daphne's Headcovers just might be kindred spirits with The Golden Bear.  Their headcovers will make you smile, even shake your head lightheartedly when you realize they look just like stuffed animals (and you will think this when you see one).  They appeared to be pretty durable, and workmanship evoked admiration.  Kudos! 
 
 
 
 
 

Winn Grips 
Dri -Tac iron grips, and WinnProX and Medalist pistol putter grips.  The Dri-Tac comes in 20th Anniversary copper color this year. 

 
 

18 Birdies 
A giant golf ball golf cart.  Because a giant golf ball golf cart.  18 Birdies knows that the more fun golf is, the better golf is.  So it shouldn't be a surprise that their award-winning app even more entertaining.  Featuring a first-rate GPS system with a pretty robust stat and score tracker, it even offers real time scoring and leaderboard functionality with support for league play across multiple courses. And did I mention it's free? 
 

Some John Daly 
Saw John Daly just as I was leaving for the day, and the man definitely speaks his mind.  What he said made me laugh almost the entire walk back to my hotel.  The mullet and mustache are long gone, but he's still doing things his own way.  Good for you Big John. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment