Friday, January 21, 2022

Callaway Golf 2022 Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X Ball Review

Callaway Golf has released new Chrome Soft golf balls for 2022, and I took them out recently to compare against each other and also to the previous gen.  I tested the Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X.  And let's just say Chrome just got Chromier.

Between the new 2022 Chrome Soft and and Chrome Soft X, Soft will be longer than X through the bag for almost everyone (particularly with driver). The X ball spins more with driver and long/mid-irons, and short game spin between the two is very similar.  I also saw a higher peak and descent with the Chrome Soft X overall.

With the putter the new Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X have a very similar sound and feel.  Soft has a denser soft feeling than X, while X has a slightly more crisp feel.  Similarly with my irons, the X produced a softer crisp feel than the Soft (and also more spin).  And with driver the feel and sound difference was most pronounced.

The new Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X are similarly performing balls, and the choice between them really boils down to what you want or prefer more of.  Want a little bit more distance?  Go Chrome Soft.  Prefer more spin with driver and/or long/mid irons?  Opt for the Chrome Soft X.  Short game spin is fantastic with both balls.  And I wound up preferring the Chrome Soft X primarily for the crisper feel with irons. 

I compared the new Chrome Soft with the old Chrome Soft (but didn't compare the old and new Chrome Soft X).  Interestingly the old Soft cover feels stickier to me (to touch), but the new Chrome Soft has more short game iron spin.  And that meant more control.  From the fairway, from the rough, a bit more precision is welcome for every skill level.  And while just an eyeball test here, it was clear more of my shots with the new Chrome Soft had less roll out and/or more backspin.

With my irons I didn't see noticeable distance gain with the new Chrome Soft, but did get more yards (and more often) and lower spin with driver using the new ball.  Again here just using my GPS and eyeball test, my normal drives were longer and straighter with the new Chrome Soft than the old.  I threw out those outliers where I put those inevitable head down in shame swings on the ball.

 

And finally in terms of feel, the new Chrome Soft was a tad softer with irons and driver, but with putter feel was pretty much identical between the old and new. 

And there you have it.  A straight to the point review of the new Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X golf balls. To me the new 2022 Chrome Soft balls are about enhancing what they already were but without changing anything substantial.  In other words real and beneficial improvements over the previous gen, and enough difference between new models to give golfers more of the specific ball behavior you want.   Better shots.  More often.  With performance right for your game.  Well done Callaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment