Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Callaway Rogue ST Max Driver Review - Play With Pete Invitational at Pasatiempo (Rob)

Here's another Callaway Rogue ST Max driver review from one of the players in this year's Play With Pete Invitational at Pasatiempo.  This one comes from Rob, and it's very interesting as he wrote his review from a fitting centric perspective.

All the players in my Play With Pete Invitational at Pasatiempo were fit on the range for a new Callaway Rogue ST driver and Callaway Chrome golf balls before their rounds began.  And Rob went from "leaking shots right with too much (distance robbing) spin" before hit fitting began to "275 yards down the center-left fairway" to start the day.

In his own words, here's what Rob (@stx_n_stns_glf on twitter) thinks about his new Callaway Rogue ST Max driver.

“Relax, we have plenty of time” was exactly what I needed to hear from Michael Vrska, Director of Fitting & Player Performance at Callaway, as I struggled to find my swing early on in the fitting for a new Rogue ST MAX driver and Chrome Soft balls before the Play With Pete Invitational at Pasatiempo Golf Club.

I have attended a few fitting events at local ranges in San Diego with several golf OEM’s in attendance, but this was my first, true one-on-one fitting experience that I couldn’t have been more excited about. Never mind that I was already jacked up for the day ahead: playing a legendary track with Pete and 7 new friends, Callaway equipment, and dressed head-to-toe in a TravisMathew and Cuater outfit.

Michael and his trusty sidekick, Sean Finnerty, who does fittings for Callaway in the Bay Area and Monterey Peninsula, were set-up under their pop-up tent at the Pasatiempo G.C. range, which is a quick 5 minute drive in the golf cart from the clubhouse that hugs the left side of the first fairway (it has about 10 artificial mats and you’re actually hitting back towards the clubhouse while golfers tee off on hole 1… thankfully with very high nets on both sides). Michael had the fitting questionnaires we all completed beforehand pulled up on his laptop, which was also connected to a TrackMan. My cart partner and fellow Team San Diego member, Adam, was first up.

Then it was my turn! I started out by warming up with my Callaway MAVRIK driver on an Aldila ROGUE White 130 MSI 60 stiff flex shaft weighing 66g and a Golf Pride MCC Align grip. My MAVRIK has a 9 degree loft, but I play with the loft adjusted +2 and in a draw setting. I love this entire club head to grip, even with my slight tendency to slice the ball.

Michael had me start out with the Rogue ST MAX D driver at a 10.5 degree loft in a shaft similar to the one I currently play, but he and Sean left the loft at 10.5 degrees and in a standard setting. I was all over the range. Sean then swapped out that shaft with my Aldila shaft. A little better, but I was leaking shots to the right (slice) and the TrackMan was showing the lots of spin and not quite the ball flight Michael was looking for. Sean then pulled a Rogue ST MAX at 10.5 degree loft in a draw setting from this cool case containing a variety of driver heads.

Michael and Sean also had a nice variety of shafts on hand in nicely organized sleeve, so we tried a couple of stiff flex shafts in different weights with this same head to fit my high 90s swing speed. Now that I was loose and feeling more relaxed, the ball flight was much more consistent (mid) and not leaking right as much – in fact I managed to get a few baby draws in the mix. Michael still wasn’t quite satisfied, particularly with the spin, so we decided to pause and revisit the shafts after the other Play with Pete participants had a chance to do their fittings.

I asked Michael why he went with a 10.5 degree loft on the Rogue ST MAX rather than at a 9 degree baseline loft that I have on my MAVRIK. He said it’s because you should start at your normal, ideal loft, which then makes it easier to adjust up or down from there as needed. Completely makes sense - realistically, I can only go up on my MAVRIK and I don’t get that .5 degree of loft option. And currently playing my MAVRIK at 11 degrees is showing a higher than optimal ball flight.

Michael also asked me about the sound – I love the more muted pop coming from the Rogue ST MAX than my MAVRIK, including on mishits. Did I mention how I also love the design of the Rogue ST MAX… the matted black/grey doesn’t reflect light like the MAVRIK, which is nice when you are standing over your tee shot and not staring at your own, sweaty reflection (hoping/praying your drive is a bomb down the middle).

 

After all the other players wrapped up their fittings, I was back on the mat with the 10.5 Rogue ST MAX in hand, this time on a stiff, blue Fujikura Speeder NX 60 shaft weighing 63.5g in a draw setting. After piping a few down the middle of the range, that was all Michael and Sean needed to see, not to mention I was feeling good in my preparation of attempting to slay the dragon that is Pasatiempo G.C. “That’s the one… we’re done” Michael exclaimed.

Lastly we, talked about Callaway’s Chrome Soft balls, which the players also answered a few questions about on the fitting questionnaire. I told Michael I prefer softer balls and naturally don’t put much spin on them on approach and green-side shots. Michael knew just the ball for me, but wouldn’t tell me which one quite yet.

After lunch, we headed into the Pasatiempo G.C. clubhouse for the big reveal – there in a chair was this beautiful new equipment and gear in all their glory (picture an angelic choir singing in the background):

·         A brand new Callaway 10.5 degree Rogue ST MAX on the stiff Fujikura Speeder NX 60 shaft (in a draw setting) and a grey Golf Pride MCC Align grip

·          A dozen new Chrome Soft balls

·         TravisMathew Certain Amenities hat in heather grey

·         TravisMathew Even Money polo shirt in heather delphinium

·         TravisMathew Interlude puffer vest in mood indigo

·         TravisMathew Right On Time pants in quiet shade

·         Cuater Jinx belt in black

·         Cuater Baja socks in heather mood indigo

·         Cuater The Legend  golf shoes in blue

That rush of excitement was back – I just needed to figure out how to bottle up all that great energy and take it out on the course. I tried to work it out on the range and practice green to no avail. It was time to step up to the first tee box (playing the combo tees at 6,222 yards) with the eyes of those on site and Pete’s followers on me.

And BOOM! I sent a new Chrome Soft #3 painted with a couple lucky shamrocks about 275 down the left side of the first fairway. It was the perfect start to what would be an amazing day!

Thanks Rob for a very thorough review particularly highlighting the process of fitting you into your new Callaway Rogue ST Max driver.  Pumped you and the group had such an awesome day, and the BOOMs gonna go all summer long for you with that new bomber you have in the bag!

More guest reviews coming soon.  Including maybe some gear I have ready for you to win this week for The Open.  As always, cheers to better golf and having more fun for us all!

4 comments:

  1. Love this, sounds like it was the beginning of a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Going to be hard to beat this day on the course.

      Delete
  2. Very grateful for this experience - one that I'll never forget. My Rogue ST MAX driver and Chrome Soft balls have been working their magic since the Play with Pete Invitational. (Fun fact: the Callaway Chrome Soft in the pictures is the one I hit into Doc MacKenzie's backyard off of the 6th fairway at Pasatiempo!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an awesome experience. And to find that perfectly fit Big Stick ... man, that's got to be a great feeling? Now you can't blame the club anymore. LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete