Monday, July 27, 2020

2020 Play With Pete Invitational at Inverness Club

Play with Pete Invitational has become one of my favorite things of the entire year.  Two years ago I invited strangers from social media to join me for the inaugural Play with Pete at Oakland Hills Country Club, South.  Last year I received more than 1,000 messages on twitter, Instagram, and emails to join me for Play with Pete at Kiawah Island, The Ocean Course. 

 

And next month Play with Pete is staying right here in my own state, at the historic Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio.  Host of four U.S. Opens and two PGA Championships, Inverness Club is the only course to ever host the U.S. Open, PGA Championship, U.S. Amateur, U.S. Senior Open, and U.S. Junior Amateur. 

When you play Inverness Club it becomes part of your soul.  It's the kind of course that makes you feel like you've gone back in time with sloping fairways, slanted greens, and masterful bunkering.  A perfectly manicured labyrinth maze with pitfalls lurking at every corner and the most satisfying rewards if you maneuver around with skill and poise. 

 
 

Bobby Jones made his first U.S. Open appearance at Inverness Club.  So did Jack Nicklaus as a 17-year old kid in 1957 (and just last year Nicklaus called Inverness the best golf course in the entire midwest).  

Legends of all generations have fond memories and reverence for this 1903 Donald Ross private golf club on Dorr Street. Byron Nelson was selected as the head pro here in 1940 (beating out Ben Hogan). Ted Ray and Hale Irwin won the first and last U.S. Opens here.  Bob Tway and Paul Azinger are PGA Championship winners at Inverness.  Hogan, Sam Snead, Harry Vardon, Arnold Palmer, and countless other golf luminaries have all walked and played this hallowed ground.  

 

And now four of you will as well. 

Play with Pete Invitational at Inverness Club will be August 19th, 2020.  When you arrive you'll meet the other players and enjoy a fantastic lunch in the Ted Ray Pub at 11:45 before your round begins.  

Perched above the 18th green in the spectacular Inverness Clubhouse (which could legitimately be called a museum), the Ted Ray Pub is a living tribute to Ray holding off Vardon to win the 1920 U.S. Open at Inverness. 

 
 

You will also know what it's like to be a pro golfer, because you're going to be sponsored for a day by two of the biggest names in the game. 

Your choice of any new pair of 2020 FootJoy golf shoes will be waiting for you on arrival so you can walk this historic course in comfort and style.  You'll be able to choose from the new FootJoy Tour X, Pro SL, Pro SL Carbon, or Flex XP golf shoes.  And to round it off you'll also receive new pairs of FootJoy golf gloves. 

 
 

But it doesn't end there. 

How does two dozen of the new Bridgestone Golf Tour B golf balls so you can bomb it around Inverness like Tiger and Bryson sound?  Yup, that's happening too.  I'd encourage you to get VFIT so you can find their best ball.  You can get VFIT here: https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/find-my-ball/video-get-fit 

 

And to spread the love around, even if you're not one of the four to join us at Inverness next month, everyone who gets VFIT can still get a free sample pack of the new Bridgestone Tour B golf balls just by using the code "PlayWithPete" for sending in your video submission.  And if you've already done it, it's perfectly fine to do it again using the "PlayWithPete" code. 

After lunch is finished you'll tee off at 1:00, and I'm going to capture all the action for not only the players, but everyone following along on twitter and Instagram.  There will be pics, videos, live streams, player interviews, jubilant triumphs, crushing defeats, some incredible insight into Inverness championship personality, and a lot more.  

 
 

It's going to be an absolutely unforgettable day and an insanely amazing experience.  And you know I have a few other surprises in store for the players, but I won't talk about that just yet. 

And after the round is finished, we'll all regroup back at the Inverness Clubhouse to have drinks, share stories about the day, and no doubt have memories and new friendships that will last a lifetime. 

 
 

So how do you enter to join my Play with Pete Invitational at Inverness Club?  Same as it's always been.  Just leave a comment here or on twitter or Instagram, or DM me and tell me why you want to be one of the four players to join this event and play at Inverness.  

Over the last two years I've read messages from people in every state in the U.S., even from other countries wanting to join Play with Pete.  And again for this one, I welcome everyone from all over the world.  You'll have to make your own transportation to get here, but once you step on Inverness Club grounds, it's all taken care of and just get ready for the time of your life.

It's that simple, I'll read every single comment, DM, or email, and I'll announce the four players on Monday August 3rd. 

 

Goosebumps.  Chills.  And your chance to play Inverness Club, one of the most storied major championship venues in history... awaits.

28 comments:

  1. Man what an opportunity. I would genuinely love a chance To experience the history the club and the comaraderie that will happen that day. Golf has provided so many bonding moments, new friends and joyous times I'd love to put this right up near the top in my memory bank. Thanks for the opportunity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wholly my pleasure, and really excited about this one! 👍

      Delete
  2. Play with Pete! Why in the world would I want to play golf with this guy? Is it because he is passionate about the game? Loves what he does? Gives honest reviews on gear? Has funny tweets? Has awesome give-a-ways? Plays golf in a Santa suit?

    Well those are all great reasons to want to play with Pete(except for maybe that last one). But the reason I want to play with Pete is because he is a genuine good guy who loves golf, just like me!

    I live in Ohio and have dreamed of being able to play at Inverness since I saw it on TV but figured I would never meet anyone that could get me on. I am 54 and been playing since I was 10 years old. I have only gotten to play a couple of private courses with Firestone being the big one. So this would be an amazing opportunity! 🙏 If you don't pick me I thank you for this opportunity. You are doing a great job promoting and reporting on golf and I love reading your take on the golfing world.
    Thanks
    JoekelliWRX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe for your nice words, means a lot. And haha, you remembered me playing golf as Santa Claus. 😂🔥👍

      Delete
  3. It’s hard for me to concisely and succinctly give a pithy answer for why I want to be a part of this event when there are sooooo many reasons why it’d be a thrill of a lifetime.

    As a Midwest golfer, this course has been on my bucket list since I was a child. As a nomadic public course golfer, I scrapped and begged my way onto as many of the private Donald Ross country clubs in Illinois as I could. I was always enamored with the use of the terrain, the exquisite condition and emphasis on shotmaking. But playing Inverness, arguably his crown jewel, would be a dream.

    Beyond that, it would be so great enjoying the course among people equally as psyched as I would be. Playing with a member is nice, but they can take it for granted. Teeing it up with a group that’s all so grateful and excited for the opportunity would only add to the thrill of walking through that historic club.

    I hope to be selected for this experience but will follow along either way and congratulate (and hope for sunny weather) for whoever gets selected.

    Thanks for the opportunity, Pete.

    Sincerely,
    Ben Lenet

    And while it’s totally just gilding the lily at this point, the hookups from FootJoy and Bridgestone are just the cheery on top. I haven’t tried this year’s line of FJ shoes but your write ups have been pretty convincing. However, I’ve exclusively been playing the Bridgestone Tour B X for the past two seasons and will never go back. Even if I don’t fully try my game, I definitely trust the B X to hold those postage stamp greens at Inverness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, appreciate your thoughtful message. Clearly you're a fan of golf history and Donald Ross, and enjoy the friendships this game creates for us all for a lifetime.

      Love sharing all things I do golf with you guys, and it's going to be an absolutely incredible day, I know this for sure. 👍

      Delete
  4. Pete,

    The invitational sounds like a once in a lifetime event for an amateur to attend. In this time of COVID meeting others in public is far from normal and making new friends is even harder. Social Media definitely helps us connect with others that share the same passion and debate about a game/sport we love and hate dearly. Unfortunately I am not entering this contest due to the inability to travel from Washington State, but I will follow all the action and hope it is a blast for whoever plays. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luca appreciate you writing. And just gets me even more pumped you're so excited even though you can't make the trip. All of us connecting is what it's all about for me. 👍

      Delete
  5. Pete, this is amazing!! I would absolutely LOVE to be a participant for this!!

    Put simply, I’m a total golf nut. I play every single day, always in search of MY perfect swing. One thing I love as much as golf itself, is playing golf with new friends / good people. And you, my friend, are the very definition of good people!!

    Consider this my application, fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, your kind words mean a lot. Definitely excited about the final four and know for sure new friendships will be made that along with playing Inverness will be lifetime and lifelong memories. 👍

      Delete
  6. Pete,
    What an amazing experience for anyone who loves the game and the course like you do. You have been tweeting about this for weeks and the announcement is finally here. What an opportunity for 4 lucky people to share the fairways, greens, and grounds with the likes of Palmer, Nicklaus, Vardon, Jones, and countless others.
    I first got into the game watching. Bob Tway chip in for birdie to beat Norman on 18 in 1986 and then again in 1993 watching Zinger go on a birdie fest which he called his best nine holes of golf to beat Norman on the 2nd playoff hole.
    I know Andrew Green had did the redesign in 2016. He paid attention to keeping the tradition of Donald Ross design intact but it would be nice to really see first hand what the course looks like now.
    I would be honored to get an opportunity like this. Thank you Pete for your enthusiastic zeal for this game that we love, your hard work and dedication to everything you do, and giving an average joe like me to play an historic golf course like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steel, yes this is definitely going to be one of those experiences you remember forever. The course is straight-up spectacular. And the renovations you mentioned really brought all 18-holes back into sync with eachother. Green did a marvelous job returning Inverness to its roots with some holes and overall renovation. And see you know your Inverness history too. 😊 I hit out of that front bunker on No. 18 just to try to replicate Tway's chip and it's tougher than it looks to say the least. There are quite a few places at Inverness where hitting out of bunkers onto downslopes on the greens is just treacherous. But also incredibly fun. And thanks for your nice words, love doing what I do and sharing with you guys as much as I can and every chance I get. 👍

      Delete
  7. This would be a dream come true.. A bucket list course and a round with Pete. I would be incredible nervous but it would be so worthwhile !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's okay to be nervous and I betcha everyone will be. You can't help but feel the history all over the place. Walking the grounds, on the course, in the clubhouse. 😊👍

      Delete
  8. Thanks Pete for a chance at this opportunity. I was lucky to have played here probably 35 years ago. My thrill from that day was paring 18. I figure it owes me 17 more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, 17 more would be nice, I'd take just one more. Lots of words to describe Inverness, and one of them is definitely tough. Renovations since you last played have really pulled in the overall 18-hole original Ross design and everything flows magnificently. 👍

      Delete
  9. I'd like to play because I am becoming a fan of old school architecture, but I only have a handful of places that I have played at that fit that bill. I would love to add Inverness because it seems to be one of the newest old creations. Plus, I loved watching it a little bit on Fox last year. Best, Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know the exact number, but there are only a handful of clubs or courses with a longer major championship history than Inverness. The architecture is splendid, and this storied club will get another major, I'm certain of this. 👍

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  11. I had a chance to play Inverness back in late 2001 when i was stationed at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton...Things did not work out as it was for late September. Always felt i would make it back but life gets busy...I played a couple of Jack's courses in and around the Columbus area and this would be a great trip and to be able to meet other followers of Petes? Bonus! I have been a follower of Pete's for many years and read his reviews and his take of different tournaments constantly. Have followed through a few life changes of his; and mine. Always thought if i was in the area, stopping in at Manakiki and seeing if i could walk on and join up. This would be that time....Just a different course. A place where legends have walked....Pete, you know Tway is an Oklahoma State guy, right? Bonus points? Let's meet in say....August?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donny, thanks for the kind words. You know sincerely appreciate that. And didn't know Tway was OSU. But do now. 😊 Inverness is not only one of the best courses, but one of the best experiences I've had, golf or otherwise. And I've grown to truly love this place, the storied history, the people, and the course. It's a magical place. 👍

      Delete
  12. I grew up watching tiger. Bryson has an amazing ball strike and swing speed. I had to hang up golf for 12 years but thanks to the covid I have been able to get back out on the course and I miss it so much. My busy schedule has limited me from enjoying time on the course. Just to meet tiger would be a dream come true. To be in the atmosphere of a professional course would be better than the lottery. Money can buy things but experience is a memory worth so much more.. I haven't played outside my local area ever. Whoever wins this is one lucky dog. Good luck everyone. And hit em straight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agree with you completely, the memory of playing Inverness lasts forever, really becomes a part of you to be honest. Love bringing you guys as much as I can and sharing as often as I can, and super excited about this one. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would love this opportunity. Just played sand valley, so I would love to make another top US course off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pete thanks for this great opportunity. Clubs like Inverness are special places, and I would relish the opportunity for a few reasons. My HS buddy lived about 3 minutes away for a few years, and when I would visit him it always added to the curiosity I had about such a storied course. I play a couple Ross's in close proximity to one another (Ravisloe & Calumet) and am amazed at the routings and challenges these designs provide. I've grown to love walking, both for the exercise and the appreciation for the course gained while playing. The short green to tee walks help too :). Lastly, knowing that Inverness is a Scottish city, I would love to see the terrain that compelled Ross to name a course in Toledo after a place 3,000 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having the opportunity to play Inverness would be an incredible experience. As an Ohioan Inverness has this mystique quality for me. I’ve loved your reviews of the courses and the great photos. Seeing photos of the course over the past year or so since it’s renovation are truly jaw dropping. This will be one hell of a day for those chosen to play with Pete.

    Pete, thanks for putting this together!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks to everyone who wrote me messages and emails. I thoroughly enjoyed reading them and chatting with all of you.

    Congrats
    @amjansen2
    ,
    @joekelliWRX
    ,
    @joshgolfer76
    , and
    @steelstate18
    you’re teeing it up at storied Inverness Club in my Play with Pete Invitational at Inverness.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The particular suggest presents totally helped myself more complex my directive. My own loved one and also i need been the actual language troubadour for any as opposed to immediately, along with little help personalized via my convenes. Accredits to your account, My own loved one and also i upright ruminate regarding banquets close to that i is usually efficient at panel my pure talent. new golf equipment releases

    ReplyDelete