Monday, June 27, 2022

Callaway Rogue ST Max Driver Review - Play With Pete Invitational at Pasatiempo (Adam)

This is a different kind of guest review and first of it's kind actually.  And it comes from Adam, one of the players in this year's Play With Pete Invitational at Pasatiempo.

You guys know all about my Play With Pete Invitationals, and this year at Pasatiempo every player was fit on the range for a new Callaway Rogue ST driver and Callaway Chrome golf balls before their rounds began.  The entire day was absolutely crazy and wildly fun.  And somehow in all the glorious insanity at Pasatiempo Adam found what appears to be that Holy Grail driver calling it a "rocket launcher that will bring his game to a new level."

In his own words, here's what Adam (@CardandCoinShop on twitter) thinks about his new Callaway Rogue ST Max driver.

Unlike most stories, this one starts at the end rather than the beginning. It was a hot 90 degree day on the course at the Country Club of Rancho Bernardo which is located in the north inland portion of San Diego.  It had been a good round playing with a new driver and a new ball, more on that later. The Eighteenth Hole at CCRB is a relatively short 478 yard par 5 with straight fairway split east to west by a cart path. The cart path is about 240 yards from the tee box.

On most days my drives usually end up right around the cart path, either just before or just after. This distance to the green is typically just out of reach with my 5 wood (I don’t carry a 3 wood). Besides, there is a large bunker on the left front of the green and it has a lake behind it, so it’s safer to lay up and take your shot at birdie. Many, myself included, are often tempted with seeking out big bird, and I’m not talking Sesame Street, I’m talking Eagle.

I step up to the tee on 18 and hit the best tee shot all day, straight down the middle and long. On average I typically drive my ball about 240 yards off the tee box with my former driver, the Taylor Made Sim Max D which is a very good driver that I have enjoyed playing with over the last two years. When I pulled up to my ball today I was well past the cart path (about 13 yards) on to the second half of the fairway 253 yards from the tee box. That was the story all day today.

I was usually about 10-15 yards longer than normal with the Rogue ST Max 9. That left me 225 to the middle of the green which is my max distance for my 5 wood when I hit it pure. Needless to say, I didn’t head out to the golf course today to lay up, so I went for it. Again, boom, I hit it pure but this time it traveled 5 yards past the green. Fortunately, I was left and didn’t go in to the drink but did get over the bunker. I ended up making par as I could not get up and down for birdie, one of the many reasons I hold a 14 index. However, this was the first time I have ever been able to, in essence, get there in two. The only explanation is the new driver and ball.

Flashback to two weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be picked to play in the most recent edition of the Play with Pete Invitational at Pasatiempo Golf Club, just north of Santa Cruz, in Northern California. It is a public course and if you ever have a chance to play there, don’t hesitate, absolutely do it. The place is absolutely magical. Pristine greens, fairways, bunkers, the design by the legendary golf architect Dr. Alister MacKenzie (see, Augusta National, Cypress Point, Royal Melbourne, etc.) I could go on and on.

In addition to playing this amazing course, Callaway Golf was kind enough to fit everyone who played with brand new Rogue ST Max drivers and new Callaway golf balls. Michael Vrska (@vgolfman on Twitter) and Sean Finnerty (@FitterFinn70 on Twitter) handled the fittings, and given the results, did a fantastic job. Michael mentioned I had a low spin rate for my ball, which I have heard before, and suggested I go with the Rogue ST Max 9 with the Callaway Soft X LS golf balls which have a little more spin than the Chrome Soft but no so much that it would cause major (amateur) slice issues, which was why I was in the TM Sim Max D.

The Callaway Soft X LS ball consistently jumped off the face of all of my clubs, but especially the Rogue ST Max. The others in my group even commented about how the ball just seemed to be exploding off of the club face. I could definitely tell the difference. To be honest, I was nervous switching from a Max D (draw friendly) to a Max as my typical shot shape is a fade that can quickly turn in to a slice on a mishit. There was nothing to worry about, the Max was fantastic all day and just as forgiving for me as the Max D while allowing me to get more distance.

Even on some drives where I hit a bit more off the toe of the driver than I would have liked, the ball and club stayed true and were forgiving. The large club face of the Rogue ST Max is forgiving and gives all players a large hitting surface for good drives even when you don’t hit the sweet spot. I have no doubt the new combination of the Callaway Soft X LS Balls (which I kid you not, came off my irons like no other ball I have used) and the rocket launcher that is the Callaway Rogue ST Max will absolutely bring my game to a new level. Can’t wait for my next round!

Thank you Pete, Pasatiempo Golf Club, Callaway Golf, Michael Vrska, Sean Finnerty, Travis Mathew, Cuater and my new friends I made during the Play with Pete Invitational. Without any doubt, that Monday of golf was the most fun I have ever had at a golf course.

For those of you reading this who have not played in the Play with Pete Invitational event before, keep following Pete on all of his social media and blog as you do not want to miss the opportunity of a lifetime!

Thanks for your really engaging review Adam.  I'm thrilled you love your new Callaway Rogue ST Max driver, and honestly even more excited you had such a great time.  That's what it's all about for me.  You guys and gals having fun, even "the most fun you've ever had on a golf course."  That's freaking awesome!

We have guest reviews coming from more players at the Play With Pete Invitational at Pasatiempo soon.  And you know I have some surprises up my sleeve heading into Open Championship week!

Anytime any of you who wins something from me wants to write a review just let me know and it's a done deal.  And as always, cheers to better golf and having more fun for us all!

1 comment: