Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Dormie Workshop (Masters Inspired) Augusta Letterman Headcovers Collection Review

It's almost that time again friends.  We're a few weeks away from The Masters and Dormie Workshop has released some limited edition (Masters inspired) leather headcovers that are going to absolutely blow you away.

Dormie has created three charmingly different collections to get you ready for the first major of 2023 and you might say they're headcovers unlike any other.  I had a set of their Augusta Letterman headcovers personalized with my PGAPappas logo and wow.  Seriously... WOW!

The first thing I noticed was how substantial the headcovers are.  The leather is thick, it's plush.  These don't appear to be any larger than driver and putter headcovers I've seen and used in the past.  But I could see immediately (and soon feel as well) it's a strong, extremely high-quality leather.

Then I held one in my hands.  Wow again, absolutely luscious.  I'd have sworn it was a suede, so soft, so rich.  But it's leather.  I asked Dormie later what kind of leather this was, or what did or do they do to treat it to make it feel so decadent.  They only told me premium Italian leather.  Trade secrets my friend.  I respect that.

The Letterman set is part of their larger Masters inspired collection that includes three wholly different styles.  These being my first Dormie headcovers, curiosity got the better of me so I naturally started browsing their website.  And the Dormie designs are as unique as a falling snowflake.

 

It's not just different colors and different stripes and different designs.  Dormie headcovers have their own personalities as if each has a distinctive story to tell.  I'm not sure I've ever seen such variety in headcovers.  The themes, designs, ideas seemingly cover every kind if interest imaginable.  And Dormie will also custom make just about anything you can dream up.

So back to my headcovers.  The leather again, just once more indulge me.  Exquisite.  Luxurious.  It's hard to describe how heavenly these are.  One of those you know it when you see it, feel it kind of things.  I'd almost describe it as a transformative leather in that it seems to take headcovers to an entirely new level.

The Letterman style captures the feel of The Masters and Augusta National perfectly.  I'm not sure if Dormie did this intentionally but it really jumps at you.  The green color of the main body and stripes reminds me of the Augusta bermudagrass fairways.  While the Dormie logo is done in more of the Masters jacket Pantone rye green color and outlined in yellow like the tournament flags.  Absolutely brilliant.

 

I also really like how the Dormie chenille block lettering gives these headcovers a definite collegiate vibe, a letterman vibe.  It's like a subtle nod to the amateur tradition so completely intertwined with The Masters history.

My logo turned out as good as I could have possibly imagined.  Great really.  The knit and stitching are perfect.  Tight, clean, crisp, the kind of quality you can rub at and not have any sign of fraying.  It's the stitching of a pro's pro.  Hand-made yes, but also hand-made with an obvious and genuine pride in creating.

The insides of these Letterman headcovers are also pretty fascinating.  You don't often see designs in the lining of headcovers but you have exactly that with Dormie.  There are images of golf carts, tigers, and hands shaking in congratulations to point out just a few.  It's an extremely fun vibe, an artistic vibe, and represents the ethos of Dormie.

 

I asked Dormie about the lining and they told me it's based on a mural painted inside their Nova Scotia headquarters.  Again a personal touch that shows how much passion Dormie has is creating these, a group of golfer-artists or artist-golfers for sure.  And the inside material is extremely soft, like a rich felt or fleece.

The Letterman headcovers also felt comfortably broken in from the moment I first put them on my drivers.  In fact, I'm not sure I've had a driver headcover that slides on and slips off more easily than these.  Dormie also told me the headcovers will take the shape of your driver over time, specifically designed to last and endure for years and years.  Another trade secret of some kind perhaps, but I didn't press.

Like the Letterman driver headcovers, the Letterman putter leather headcover is work of art, meticulous in detail with unmistakable quality.  It's a blade headcover but easily fit on my mid-mallet (Mizuno M-Craft V) putter.  Beauty doesn't have to come at the expense of practicality, well done again Dormie.

As far as first impressions go Dormie could not have impressed me more with these Letterman headcovers.  They're extravagant, magical, and unfailingly handsome.  Cue the oohs and ahhs because they radiate with the soul and spirit of Augusta National and The Masters.  And quite frankly I want to put these on display to admire just as much as I want to use them on the course.

3 comments:

  1. Pete, great review of some fantastic looking covers!! Getting that good quality driver that keeps its form over the years is a must!! Love the classic look of the cover, the Masters color scheme, the interior graphics, and of course, your logo! Would enjoy buying one of these if they were made available. Great job Dormie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attractively unique, yet a classy classic for sure… Just has the right look. Thank you Pete for the review.

    @4ryanthomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete