Friday, December 2, 2022

PXG 0211 Driver Fairway Wood and Hybrid Review (2022)

You've heard the expression less is more?  Well PXG is taking this adage to the extreme with their new 2022 0211 line of drivers, woods, and hybrids.  All of these clubs are damn long, immensely forgiving, and powerful feeling at impact.

And at a price of less than $200 each, it's like paying for a cheeseburger and getting a Porterhouse steak instead.

I took the new PXG 0211 driver, wood, and hybrid out for testing at Inverness Club the first weekend I got them.  And they're the kind of clubs you hit well immediately.

My first drive with the 0211 was laugh out loud good.  A bomb down the middle of the fairway.  That's always a good sign.  Over the next few holes and really for my entire round drives were long and straight.  And at Inverness Club you absolutely have to hit your drives both long and straight to score well.

Through the course of the day I actually started to believe I hit the PXG 0211 driver even better than my PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 driver.  And the interesting thing about these two drivers in comparison is they both use PXG's premium Ti412 titanium allow face.  There's no skimping or cutting corners with the 0211.

 

From what I can tell the biggest difference between the flagship 0311 and this new 0211 is the adjustable weight technology available with the 0311 model.  That of course lets you dial in shot shape, spin, and launch.  But with the fantastic performance I was getting from 0211 I didn't even think about adjustability, though you do still get plus/minus 1.5 degrees of loft adjustability with 0211.  And for many players this simplified design is going to give you everything you want from a driver.

The PXG 0211 driver reminded me a bit of the Ping G425 and TaylorMade Stealth Plus in a few regards.  So much so I went to Golf Galaxy a few weeks later to get some comparisons and the numbers were damn interesting.  More on that in a bit.

With sound and feel 0211 was very similar to the Ping G425.  0211 has slightly less ping sound and more mass feeling at impact.  It's not a muted sound like you get with say the Callaway Rogue ST driver.  Shape wise 0211 reminded me of the Stealth Plus with both having large head sizes.  The 0211 however has a bigger hitting area and is a little rounder and more clean and classic looking to my eye.

So fast forward now a few weeks later at Golf Galaxy.  I was curious how my 0211 compared to the Stealth Plus so I hit a bunch of balls with each and the results genuinely surprised me.  Ball speeds between the PXG 0211 and Stealth Plus were virtually identical, spin rates were very close with the Stealth Plus being lower on average by about 100 rpm, and total distance between the two drivers had the PXG 0211 shorter by only two or three yards.

I would not have expected or even believed performance would be so close but the numbers don't lie.  And to take this one step further, I actually had better dispersion with the 0211 compared to the Stealth Plus.  Forgiveness off both the heel and toe with the 0211 is exceptional.

This was nuts to me because I was getting statistical proof of what I had seen at Inverness Club a few weeks earlier, and this kind of performance from the 0211 comes at a fraction of the price of these other drivers.  PXG is calling the new 0211 line clubs to fill a void in the market, but the more I thought about it the more I believe 0211 can also be called an extension of the 0311 line.  Something similar to how the Ping G425 MAX and Stealth Plus fits into those respective lines.

The PXG 0211 wood was equally impressive.  It's not the longest fairway wood I hit this year but it's still plenty long to use as a driver alternative if you want.  The 0211 wood sound is higher pitched than the 0211 driver and feels very fast off the face.

Where the 0211 wood shined brightest for me however was in forgiveness and ease of launch.  In fact, it's one of the most accurate fairway woods in terms of tightest dispersion I hit all year. 

 

Even on shots hit fat the ball got up and spun plenty to hold greens and targets.  And in my opinion that's really what a fairway wood should be all about.  The 0211 is a wood that doesn't sacrifice precision for distance.

I don't want shots with my fairway wood to roll forever just so I can say I hit it longer than any other fairway woods.  I want my woods to have enough carry distance to reach greens and carry hazards but also land softly so I can pull it for certain yardages with absolute confidence.

And that's what the PXG 0211 fairway wood gives me.  Anyone who has trouble hitting fairway woods will be thrilled with the 0211.

As excited as I was about the PXG 0211 driver and fairway wood, the hybrid might have been the most satisfying of them all to hit.  The 0211 is one of the most accurate and easy to hit hybrids I've ever played.

 

You can hit the PXG 0211 hybrid pretty much anywhere on the face with the craziest kind of swing and still get great results.  It really is that forgiving and incredibly fun to hit.

The 0211 face shape is boxed like the fairway wood and has a similar sound and feel as the wood, only deeper and stronger.  And like with the fairway wood, you're getting an easy to launch and very long club that's deadly accurate.

 

On shots with the 0211 hybrid from both the fairway and the rough contact feels crisp and powerful.  And with weight placed low and to the back you're going to see great results even when your swing isn't the best.  Mishits low are particularly forgiving.  The 2022 0211 hybrid is lower spinning than PXG's previous model and you'll probably be able to work the ball more with a smaller profile hybrid.  But there's something to be said about hybrids that are long, straight, and easy to hit that will appeal to golfers of all skill levels.

PXG has impressed the hell out of me this year, straight up.  The 0311 irons, Sugar Daddy II wedges, and Battle Ready putters were some of my favorite clubs to play this season.  The 0311 driver, wood, and hybrid were also exceptional.

And now with the 0211 line of woods, PXG has shaken up the industry again by making affordability - in the words of founder Bob Parsons - pretty dang sexy!  And these new drivers, woods, and hybrids aren't merely great performers for the price.  The 0211 drivers, woods, and hybrids are great performers... Period.

2 comments: